Children and Chiropractic
The Nervous System is the first system to develop in your growing child’s body. It controls, influences and coordinates everything in your child’s body. The nervous system consists of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. The nerves that come out of your child’s spinal cord sends messages to and from the brain to every organ and tissue in the body. A subluxation in a child is when one or more bones in the spine are misaligned or not moving properly which can cause interference or irritation to the nerves(1). Subluxations can change the message the brain is sending to your child’s body. Chiropractic adjusting can help your child have proper growth and development by keeping the communication from the brain to the body and the body to the brain working properly.
A normal birth process may be stressful on the mother and baby. Birth may be the time your child’s first subluxation occurs. Regular Chiropractic care during pregnancy is safe and beneficial for the mom and the baby. Having a newborn baby assessed after birth can ensure that there are no spinal misalignments from the birthing process. Studies have shown that in infants that have trouble with breastfeeding, over 80% had misalignments in their cervical spine(2). Chiropractic for infants and young children involves gentle fingertip and low force adjustments to correct the biomechanics of your child's spine. The mission at Absolute Chiropractic Wellness Centre is to educate parents on how their children can live a healthier life with Chiropractic.
Many parents that bring their children to Chiropractors for treatment have seen positive changes in many common pre-existing conditions such as:
· Allergies (3,4)
· Asthma (3,4,5)
· Colds (3,5)
· Colic (6,7,8)
· ADHD (4,9)
· Bedwetting (10,11,12,13)
· Ear Infections (5,10)
· Scoliosis (14,15)
· Headaches (16,17)
Chiropractic allows your body to work its best naturally from the inside out. As parents we need to be vigilant and be on the lookout for signs and activities that may be leading to misalignments and subluxations in our children. With infants it could be something as simple as only turning their head to one side or having trouble with breastfeeding. In school aged children an overloaded backpack could lead to imbalances in the spine. Physical activities and sports can involve a lot of falls which can lead to increased stress on the spine. If you feel your child may be showing signs of misalignments or is involved in activities that may lead to subluxations then have them checked to ensure their spine is functioning properly.
Children are our future! Give them the opportunity to be their best with Chiropractic!
2. Fry,L.M., Chiropractic and Breastfeeding Dysfunction: A Literature Review. Journal of Clinical Chiropractic Pediatrics, 2014 (Mar): 14(2)
3. Alcantara, J., Van Roo, L., Oman, R.E., Chiropractic Care of a Pediatric Patient with Asthma, Allergies and Chronic Colds, European Journal of Integrative Medicine, Vol 1, Supplement 1, Nov 2008, Pg 12
4. Stone-McCoy, P. Taylor C., J., Resolution of Asthma and other Functional Disorders Following Chiropractic Care to Reduce Vertebral Subluxations in Nine-Year-Old Male: A Case Report. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal and Family Health, Chiropractic. Vol 2018, Apr 2018, pp 26-33
5. Deignan, D., DaCampo, T., Resolution of Immunodeficiency in a Child Undergoing Chiropractic Care for the Management of Vertebral Subluxations: A Case Study & Review of the Literature. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health Chiropractic. Vol 2018, July 2018, pp 68-76
6. Miller, J.E., Newell, D., Bolton, J.E., Efficacy of Chiropractic Manual Therapy on Infant Colic: A Pragmatic Single-Blind, Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 2012 (Oct); 35(8): 600-607
7. Dobson D, Lucassen PL, Miller JJ, Vlieger AM, Prescott P, Lewith G. Manipulative therapies for infantile colic. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012 Dec 12;12:CD004796
8. Miller, J.E., Phillips, H.L., Long-Term Effects of Infant Colic: A Survey Comparison of Chiropractic Treatment and Nontreatment Groups. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 2009 (Oct); 32(8): 635-68
9. Alcantara, J., Davis J., The Chiropractic Care of Children with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: A Retrospective Case Series. Explore: The Journal of Science and Healing, Vol 6 (3), May-June 2010, pp 173-182
10. Marko, S., Marko, J., Resolutions of Otitis Media and Nocturnal Enuresis in a 12-Year Old Patient Following Chiropractic Care to Reduce Vertebral Subluxations: A Case Study and Selected Review of the Literature. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health Chiropractic. Vol 2018, Apr 2018, pp 13-25
11. Kamrath K, R,. Chiropractic Management of a 5-year-old boy with urinary and bowel incontinence. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, 2010 Mar:9(1): 28-31
12. Instebo, E., Lystad, R.P., Chiropractic Care of an 8-Year-Old Girl with Nonorganic, Primary Nocturnal Enuresis: A Case Report. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine, Vol 15(1), March 2016, pp 47-52
13. Van Poecke, A.J., Cunliffe, C., Chiropractic Treatment for Primary Nocturnal Enuresis: A Case Series of 33 Consecutive Patients. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, Vol 32(8), Oct 2009, pp 675-681
14.Lotan, S., Kalichman, L., Manual therapy treatment for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, January 2018
15. Rowe,D.E., Feise, R.J., Crowther, E.R., Grod, J.P., Menke,J.M., Goldsmith,C.H., Stoline,M.R., Souza,T.A. Kambach,B., Chiropractic manipulation in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis: a pilot study. Chiropractic and Osteopathy, 2006 August, 14(15)
16. Klingler, Shane, & Alcantara, Joel. “Resolution of Daily Cervicogenic Headaches in a 13-Year-Old Male Under Chiropractic Care. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal, & Family Health, 2015.2 (2015):82-85
17. Simmons-Stone, Darby, & Alcantara, Joel. “Resolution of Chronic Cervicogenic Headache & Cervicalgia in a Child Following Chiropractic Care.” Journal of Pediatric, Maternal, & Family Health. 2016.1 (2016): 1-4.